The New Mercedes-AMG® GLA 45: SUV to Suit Any Lifestyle
The new Mercedes-AMG® GLA 45 is the ideal match for a multitude of adventures. This compact sports model is perfect for a weekend trip to the mountains but can also unleash a level of dynamic performance to impress even sports car owners.
“The second generation of our very successful compact sports model is now complete. The GLA portfolio, in the form of the Mercedes-AMG® GLA 45, now also includes our innovative four-cylinder turbo engine, so setting the benchmark in this segment. In addition, the new GLA 45 is not only significantly more dynamic, but also more practical in everyday use than its predecessor, thereby ensuring its appeal to a dynamic, leisure-oriented target group,” says Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG® GmbH.
New 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine
The GLA 45 is powered by the newly developed M139 2.0-liter engine. It boasts more power than its predecessor with 328 hp and 354 lb-ft torque with top speed electronically limited to 155 mph.
A 180 degree change in engine position allows the flattest possible and most aerodynamic front section design. This new design also allows for improved air ducts with shorter distances and fewer diversions.
The new engine is entirely assembled by hand creating a “One Man, One Engine” principle and industry 4.0 processes to an innovative level reflecting the latest findings in ergonomics, material flows, quality assurance, sustainability and efficiency. This assembly operation also follows the vision of “smart production” which enables maximum flexibility and is both transparent and highly efficient. It safeguards and improves the quality of the engines and production process using innovative and digital technologies.
4MATIC®+ All-Wheel Drive
This all-wheel drive system is standard on the GLA 45 and greatly assists the driving dynamics of the vehicle. The secret is AMG® TORQUE CONTROL in the new rear axle differential. This includes two electronically controlled multi-disc clutches. In this way, the power can not only be variably distributed between the front and rear wheels, but also selectively between the left and right rear wheel.
The outcome is consistently optimized traction, even in adverse road conditions or during extreme cornering.
The six AMG® DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs “Slippery”, “Comfort”, “Sport”, “Sport+”, “Individual” and “RACE” (included in the optional AMG® DYNAMIC PLUS package) allow a wide spread of vehicle characteristics, from comfortable to highly dynamic. Numerous relevant parameters are modified:
- Powertrain: Accelerator pedal characteristics, shift times and shift timing in the variants Reduced, Moderate, Sport or Dynamic
- AMG® DYNAMICS: Agility functions such as all-wheel control, steering characteristics and ESP® functions in Basic, Advanced, Pro or Master variants (included in the optional AMG® DYNAMIC PLUS)
- Suspension: in Comfort, Sport, Sport+
- Exhaust system: sound and nature of the sound functions, Balanced or Powerful
Dynamics for Enhanced Agility and Stability
As a new feature in the AMG® DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs, the new GLA 45 comes with AMG® DYNAMICS. This integrated agility control facility extends the stabilizing functions of ESP® with agility-enhancing intervention in the all- wheel-drive control, steering characteristics and additional ESP® functions. When cornering at speed, for example, brief braking intervention at the inner rear wheel generates a defined yawing motion around the vertical axis for responsive and precise control into the bend.
The spectrum ranges from extremely stable to highly dynamic. On the multimedia display, when a drive program is selected, the new AMG® DYNAMICS symbol is displayed together with the corresponding additional information.
- “Basic” is assigned to the “Slippery” and “Comfort” drive programs. In this case, the characteristics include very stable handling with a high level of yaw damping.
- “Advanced” is activated in “Sport” mode. The GLA 45 remains neutrally balanced. The lower yaw damping, lower steering angle requirement and enhanced agility support dynamic maneuvers such as driving on winding country roads.
- “Pro” (short for “Professional”) belongs to the “Sport+” program. In “Pro” the driver receives even more assistance for dynamic driving while agility and feedback from the road when cornering are further enhanced.
- “Master” is linked to the “RACE” driving mode (included in the optional AMG® DYNAMIC PLUS package). “Master” mode is aimed at drivers who want to experience dynamism and the driving enjoyment on closed-off circuits. “Master” offers a vehicle balance with slight oversteer, a low steering angle requirement and more agile steering. In this way, “Master” ensures maximum agility and fully exploits the dynamic potential. To activate “Master” mode, the driver must use the separate button in the center console to switch the ESP® to ESP® SPORT Handling Mode or ESP® OFF.
- In the “Individual” drive program, the driver can set the AMG® DYNAMICS levels “Basic”, “Advanced”, “Pro” and “Master” themselves. The setting can also be directly selected using the AMG® steering-wheel buttons.
- Long hood with power domes
- Compact greenhouse and muscular shoulders over the wheel arches
- AMG®-Specific radiator grille with vertical slats
- Standard LED High Performance headlamps
- Flared wheel arches
- Large air intakes with silver chrome inserts
- Silver chrome front splitter
- 19-inch light-alloy wheels with a 10-spoke design
- MBUX infotainment system
- Contoured sport seats
- Combination of black MB-Tex with DINAMICA with distinctive AMG® highlights
- Red seat belts
- AMG® carbon fiber-look trim on the dashboard
- Piano black center console
- Touchpad control